Saturday, February 11, 2017

Equivalence Point

I met you at a time,
When I was almost self-destructive,
Almost as reactive as sodium metal,
To even water's tiny hint,
And to any girl I meet,
I was Hydrogen ion in strong acid,
I'd take what I want in a minute,
And then dissociate completely in a blink,

Then everything unfolded slowly,
But at the same time in an instant, ironically,
As if the universe was a lab rat,
Working on titrations and equivalence points,
Every careful twist on the burette,
Were the long conversations we shared,
Every vigorous shakes to the flask,
Were the disagreements we fought through,
And the lookout for the right hint of phenolphthalein,
Was my heart arrested in your yearning,
And I was sure right then,
This color change was permanent,

But no, it was no typical love story,
Where I'd go talk on and on of chemistry,
No, it was no typical love story,
Of sparks, Of hits and misses and feet sweeping,
No it was no typical love story,
Of 'then it hit me's and slow motions and OSTs,
No, it was no typical love story,
Of planned proposals and scenic kneeling,
That's all reserved for cinemas and screens,
I guess I lucked out because ours is real,

You always have felt like a dream,
Comforting yet distant and indistinct,
But now you are real, we are real,
And it is comforting to see,
That the world is a world of chances,
A web of uncalculated events,
And maybe one day,
I get to exhaust the constellations,
And the caged up infinity in your eyes,
Or catch a glimpse of new-born nebulas,
Every time you waver a smile,

And I know I will always be looking on,
In absolute awe and admiration,
No matter how great the distance,
For your very existence,
Is on itself a miracle,
For I know we can buffer anything,
Because you are the perfect conjugate base to my weak acid

No comments:

Post a Comment